Monday, January 14, 2013

Scrappy Trip Along - Starting tonight!

I know I said I wouldn't start another quilt until I had a few WIP's finished but after seeing ALL of the Scrappy Trip Around The World quilt pictures on various blogs and Instagram I can't help myself - I HAD to make one of these quilts!

Over the past few days I cut up the fabric - 128 strips out of around 43 or so different types of fabric.  I should just need 120 but I miscounted and figured a few extra 12/2.5 inch strips couldn't be a bad thing to have lying around for a project like this.


After I had all my strips cut I picked a few sets of fabrics for the first few blocks and threw them up on my impromptu design wall (I stuck a fleece blanket up on the wall with 3M tape - instant design wall and super movable if need be) to see how I liked some of the colour combinations.

Horrible picture quality - my apologies
I've said before that I totally struggle with the whole 'random' fabric concept, I like things to have some sort of order and a quilt like this really is supposed to be all about the random.  Perhaps one day I will embrace the random with reckless abandon, until then I will go for random'esqe and try not to obsess too much about fabric placement.

If all goes well I'm hoping to get the bulk of this quilt top done over the course of the next few nights.  Hopefully I can show some progress with you over the next few days!

Thanks for stopping by - see you tomorrow!   





1 comment:

  1. That lonely block on the right there is beautiful!! :) And it will be fun to watch your Scrappy Trip come together. I have seen them all over, too, but so far have fought the urge. I will live vicariously through you. :) A fleece blanket is a good idea. I have used a large piece of quilt batting, and that works too. No fancy design wall at my house. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...